Advocacy for IST Clients: How to Effectively Advocate for Those Found Incompetent to Stand Trial
Kevin Voydovich, J.D.
This workshop provides an overview of the legal issues surrounding those individuals found incompetent to stand trial (IST) by Maine’s courts.. Topics include:
- the current national trends in case law regarding IST individuals and the legal background for these cases;
- A description of the realities of advocating for clients in Jail;
- Strategies for advocating for individuals to move quickly to lesser restrictive environments;
- Preventing an IST finding if that is what the client wants; and
- Informing an individual of the implications of an IST finding.
Using examples of events in Maine, this workshop will provide advocacy and legal strategies for advocates, attorneys, and individuals with psychiatric labels to protect the Constitutional rights of those found IST.